What are Mental Health Ambassadors?
We are excited to let you know about and England Athletics scheme, backed by Mind, called Mental Health Ambassadors. It is designed to support people starting or returning to running and improve the mental wellbeing of existing club members. Bournville Harriers have enthusiastically signed up and our two Ambassadors are Clare Mullin and Alan Orr. Hello!
Running and Mental Health
Anyone can experience a mental health problem and while physical activity has proven to be effective, in both treatment and prevention, only 16% of people with a mental health problem are active once a week. Benefits of running for mental health include:
- Reduced anxiety and happier moods. Heard of endorphins – ‘feel good’ hormones? Released by exercise they can calm anxiety and lift your mood
- Reduced stress
- Time out to exercise can give you space to think things over and help your mind feel calmer
- Increased self-esteem
- Reduced risk of depression
What will we do?
Clare and Alan are positive about the new role of Mental Health Ambassadors and will:
- Support and encourage people with mental health problems to start, continue or return to running
- Link to local mental health groups
- Hold events
- Link with local Ambassadors in other clubs
- Support the conversation on social media it’s good to #runandtalk
If you’d like to know more or be involved get in touch, say hi at a club run or email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
England Athletics www.englandathletics.org
Elefriends Website: http://elefriends.org.uk